Wayne Adult Community Center

Feature article from the October, 2001 Newsletter

Many merchants provide discounts for seniors, but often you need to say, "Senior discount please."  Below are some discounts provided through our state and federal governments:

New Jersey Parks Senior Citizen Pass - New Jersey residents age 62 or older are entitled to a Senior Citizen Pass, which gives the holder free entry and parking at any park, forest, or historic site administered by the Division of Parks & Forestry.  (Overnight camping and other fees within the facilities are not included.)

Application for the parks pass should be made to Administrative Services, Division of Parks & Forestry, NJ Department of Environmental Protection, PO Box 404, Trenton, NJ 08625-0404, (800-843-6420). Proof of age must be submitted with the application.

New Jersey Fishing Licenses - New Jersey residents of at least six months, ages 65 through 69, may obtain a fishing license at the reduced fee of $12.25 (instead of the regular  $22.25).  If you are blind, there is no charge.  For residents over the age of 70, no license or trout stamps are required — a driver's license or other acceptable proof of age containing date of birth and physical description, function as the license.  To apply for a license, write to the NJ Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Fish, Game & Wildlife, Marine Fisheries Administration, PO Box 400, Trenton, NJ 08625-0400, (609-984-5546).  Proof of age must be submitted with the application.

New Jersey Hunting - New Jerseyans at age 65 are entitled to a license to hunt with hounds and firearm for the reduced fee of $15.25 (instead of the regular $27.25), and those desiring to hunt with bow and arrow may obtain a license for the reduced fee of $16.25 (instead of the regular $31.25). For one or both types of hunting licenses, apply in writing to the Division of Fish, Game & Wildlife, NJ Department of Environmental Protection, PO Box 400, Trenton, NJ 08625-0400, (609-292-2965).  Proof of age should be submitted with the application.

Education Programs in New Jersey - Each public institution of higher education in NJ may, if it so chooses, permit persons of age of 65 or more to enroll in regularly scheduled courses without any tuition charges (subject to classroom space availability and required minimum number of paying students). You may have to pay other fees   Also, the age requirement may vary among institutions.  For additional information, contact the Registrar's Office of the public college you are interested in attending.

The Federal Golden Age Passport is a lifetime entrance permit, for persons age 62 or older, to national parks, monuments, historic sites, recreation areas, and national wildlife refuges. It also provides a 50% discount on federal use fees for facilities and services such as parking, camping, boat launching, etc. Golden Age Passport admits the permit holder and a carload of accompanying persons.  Where entry is not by private car, the passport admits the permit holder, spouse, children and parents. The Golden Age Passport must be obtained in person, and is available at most federally operated recreation areas.  There is a one-time $10 processing charge, and proof of age must be supplied.  In New Jersey, passports may be obtained in person at:

  1.  Morristown National Historical Park, Washington Place, Morristown (the Museum behind the Ford Mansion), or
  2.  Edison National Historic Site, Main Street and Lakeside Avenue, West Orange.

For further information contact: Director, Mid-Atlantic Region Office, National Park Service, 200 Chestnut St. (U.S. Custom House Building), Philadelphia, PA 19106  (215) 597-7018

Thanks to George Morris for providing the information in this article.


10/13/2001 900